Minot AFB, ND --
Next time you need a will, power of attorney, or just have a legal question, visit http://legalassistance.law.af.mil
. The Air Force Judge Advocate General Corps unveiled the new Air Force Legal Assistance Web site worldwide on Feb. 1. The Web site is designed for active duty and reserve component members, retirees, and dependents.
The Web site was created to increase efficiency and track client satisfaction with the Air Force legal assistance program. Because it is a public site, clients may access the site's features from the comfort of their homes without a common access card. The site's features include:
· Legal Topics: Short papers on common legal assistance topics such as wills and family law issues. It also contains links to other helpful sites.
· Legal Worksheets: Access to online questionnaires for wills, living wills, and powers of attorney. After completing the online worksheet, the Web site provides each client a unique "ticket number." Data entered by clients is secure and may be accessed only after clients visit their local legal office and provide their ticket numbers to legal office personnel.
· Online Survey: Following a visit to the legal office, clients are encouraged to provide feedback concerning the professionalism and helpfulness of our legal professionals.
Many clients have visited a legal office to obtain a will or other legal document, and realize after arriving that they need to gather more information or documents from home. Sometimes a client realizes they need to speak with their spouse about an issue. Completing an online worksheet will help minimize these multiple visits. By filling out an online worksheet, clients will be able to consider critical issues online prior to visiting the legal office. After receiving a ticket number, a client may take his or her ticket number to the legal office. An attorney or paralegal will then access a client's data with the ticket number. This will reduce the amount of information the client needs to bring along to the visit, and allow the legal office to streamline the process to some degree.
While the Web site increases convenience for clients, everyone should note the following:
· Information on the Web site is for educational and informational purposes only. The website cannot replace consultation with your local JAG, and Airmen should never rely solely on the website when making decisions.
· Clients will not have the ability to print a legal document (will, power of attorney, etc.) from the Web site. Clients will need to visit the legal office and provide their ticket numbers to obtain their legal documents.
· The Web site is designed for client convenience, but no one is required to use the Web site prior to visiting the legal office.
The JAG Corps looks forward to continuing to serve the Air Force community's legal needs, and sincerely hopes users find this website helpful. You can find contact information for your nearest base legal office via the legal assitance locator; we recommend you verify their legal assistance hours before you visit. We value your feedback concerning the website and the services we provide as we continue to look for ways to better serve you. See you soon and don't forget your ticket number!